Sunday, March 03, 2013

Where do ideas come from?

Good answers are here. Go read. Then come back. Or read here first, then go read there. I'll let you choose, because I'm easy like that. Bossy, but easy.




My good friend Carol Jerina wrote a book, Tropic Gold, inspired by a half-inch news story buried in the back of the Dallas Morning News about an heir being found by an heir-hunter.

Really, it was that one word--heir-hunter--that grabbed her attention.

That book had one of the greatest covers EVER.  My copy is in a box somewhere. Damn, I'm going to have to hunt down another copy of that book just because.

My western, now titled La Desperada, began when a sentence popped into my head: "Once there was a woman who was so desperate to escape that she held a cold-blooded murderer at gunpoint and said, take me with you."

I have an idea for a writing exercise for class about ideas.

I hope nobody is offended by the use of tarot cards for a writing exercise because this should be fun!



2 comments:

Ana O said...

Sounds interesting! I don;t believe in tarot but I think using the cards to get ideas sounds fantastic.

Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

It kind of made me want to do a 3-hour workshop on ideas and plotting where we do nothing but do various little tricks/exercises and plot stories. I'm not sure if anybody would actually want to do it, but it could be interesting and fun.