Thursday, August 11, 2011

What Everybody Really Wants to Know--MONEY



Today's subject--money, writing for it, earning it, watching it ebb and flow, not getting rich fast enough.


Kameron Hurley writes: When I got my offer for GOD’S WAR, I was woefully ignorant of exactly how many copies I needed to sell to earn back my advance, or how to track those numbers. Every writer’s situation is different, so it’s hard to glean any data from other folks online – even the few who are willing to talk about it. Looking back, it would have been smart to simply ask my publisher or my agent directly, but nobody likes to look like a n00b… So there was a lot of worry and gnashing of teeth. And discusses frankly watching to see if her advance earned out, and what that would mean to her career. This is good information, people. Read it.

And then Psychology Today chimes in, also the source of today's image (above). Write for the money. Really? Well, let's see what they have to say.

Honestly, I have to write from that place of passion, but I couldn't and wouldn't bother if I weren't deeply positive that once I'd done so, I would reap millions of readers and the money that comes along with it.  That's when I'm writing.

Dealing with reality comes later.

Carry on! Write!

No comments: