Friday, March 30, 2012

First Sentence of a Novel...

Remember the "first pages" exercises we do?

Here is a blogger that has a Friday meme where anybody who wants to posts the first sentence of the novel they are reading, and their thoughts about it.

As a reader you might find it fun and interesting to follow along or even join in. [Go ahead, do it! Start a blog if you need to!]

As a writer, you will learn.

Rose City Reader--Book Beginnings on Fridays

And if you're wondering, the first sentence of the book I'm currently reading is:

First the colors.

The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak.

My reaction? The entire first page is compelling, the second person pov, the layout and composition. I'm reading it on a Kindle but want to see it in print, to see how it looks. The first page grabs me. I'm not sure about the sentence alone, but it does intrigue.

 






What about you? Anybody? Nobody has chatted back recently. Let me know what's going on!

3 comments:

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

Ack! My pet peeve is opening sentences that are not complete sentences. But I've heard such good things about this book that I'm sure the first paragraph is a grabber.

Thanks for joining me on Book Beginnings! Welcome! Glad I found your blog.

Rose City Reader

JC Jones said...

I haven't seen this book before. Thanks for posting.

Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Thanks for dropping by, Rose City Reader! This is a fun meme.

JC, It's really engrossing. It has won a number of awards and I can see why.