Sunday, January 21, 2007

Recommended Reading -WRITING THE NOVEL

Telling Lies for Fun & Profit: A Manual for Fiction Writers
by Lawrence Block
This was the most fun I ever had reading a writing book. Well, that's how I felt when I read it as a new writer. I learned a lot and enjoyed doing it. How can you argue with that?










How to Write Fiction Like a Pro: A Simple-To-Savvy Toolkit for Aspiring Authors
by Robert Newton Peck
Confession time. I haven't actually read this book yet. But Robert Newton Peck wrote one of the best writing books I've read, recommended elsewhere (Fiction is Folks) and this one has such great reviews on Amazon, I'm sticking my neck out and recommending it. When I have time to come back to it, I will be reading it myself. In the meantime let me know what you think, okay?





How to Write a Damn Good Novel: A Step-by-Step No Nonsense Guide to Dramatic Storytelling
by James N. Frey







How to Write Best Selling Fiction *How to Write Best Selling Fiction,
by Dean Koontz

Another OUT OF PRINT book. But if you follow that link, you'll find out that it's in great demand. I do NOT recommend that you spend big bucks to buy it sight unseen. I do recommend that you get it from the library or Interlibrary Loan and read it, and see if it's helpful to you. I have had students pay the big bucks for it after reading it, though. I also know people who didn't think it was all that great. So, again, don't buy sight unseen, but if you can get your hands on it, it's worth checking out.

No comments: