Monday, July 02, 2012

Writers Groups

I am a big believer in writers groups.  I've always been in one.  At this point instead of a group, I'm part of a circle of friends who beta for each other, possibly brainstorm together, are on the same creative wavelength.

On the other side of the equation, not everybody needs or wants a writers group.  Many people write alone and don't want any feedback.

There is no right or wrong here.

My own advice about writers groups is whether you are part of one online or in person, watch and listen before you put your own work up for critique and review.  Figure out how the group works. Listen to (or read) the critique and decide what you think about it.  Does it feel helpful to you?  Would you think it was helpful if you were on the receiving end?

Or does it feel brutal?

The great Neil Gaiman says, "On the whole, anything that gets you writing and keeps you writing is a good thing. Anything that stops you writing is a bad thing. If you find your writers group stopping you from writing, then drop it."

I say, follow your gut.  There is no right or wrong here. (Okay, there may be, but in many situations I'd say there isn't.)  I have had students come from the very same critique group with opposing reactions.  "I loved it. I've gone three more times!"  "I hated it. I thought they were mean-spirited." Both reactions were valid, because both writers were reacting with their guts.  Remember what Gaiman said. If YOU think this group is negative and will have a negative impact on your ability to write--that is not a good group for you. End of discussion.

Holly Lisle has some excellent advice on this subject.  I suggest you check it out!

No comments: