Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Common Grammar Mistakes

This link--20 Common Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everybody Makes--is a solid refresher if you need it.

Example:  Who or whom?  (And no, "whom" is not pretentious when it's correct.) Even though the article explains this one, it explains too much (in my opinion). 

It's very simple:

Whether or not you include the 'm' on the end of 'who' depends on whether you use the 'm' on the end of 'he/him.'

If you would say "he" in the sentence, you say who.

If you would say "him" in the sentence, you say whom.

Easy.

Okay, it will probably take some rearranging to make it work.  For example, if I'm going to ask who wants to go with me, in my mind I would process, "Does HE want to go with me or does HIM want to go with me," and come up with,  "Who wants to go with me?"

I am not a grammarian by any stretch, so go read other authorities.  In the meantime, if you want a class in the basics of writing a novel--characterization, plot, scene structure, pace, building a world or universe, and more?  I've got you covered. Starting Monday night, Sept 10 and Tuesday morning, Sept 11.

For those who have taken the basics class and are waiting patiently for the blueprinting classes to finally be offered again, hooray!  Monday night, November 5 and Tuesday morning, November 6.  Just imagine, 3 hours of politics-free discussion about writing on election eve and election morning. That sounds pretty appealing to me!

Also, Collin College is sponsoring a writers conference in October. Find the details here!

No comments: