Monday, October 15, 2012

Several things...

First, I'm blogging my reactions to JK Rowling's first book post-Hogwarts, The Casual Vacancy. The reviews from what I can tell aren't particularly good. Oddly, now that I've gotten a ways into it, I'm liking it. But it's not pretty, magical, scary, fun. It's very different from anything Potter and certainly adult in nature. Join me, if you want to read along and discuss. I'd love to have you there, whether you've read the Potter books or not. It would be interesting to see how someone responds to it who hasn't read Potter, actually.

Second, here is a post by an author I don't know but follow on twitter evidently.  It mentions numerous things I reference when teaching, including the importance of rewrite and editing. I think you'll find it a helpful reminder of what traditional publishing works, and why it's (in my opinion) a better option than self-publishing from a craft level as well as financial.  Are there exceptions to the rule? Always. But in general, this is still the way to go for me. 

Third, if anybody is interested, particularly if you are in my current classes--if you want to read either of my e-books in the next week or two, I will be glad to arrange a time before or after class (depending on which class you're in) where I can answer questions about all aspects of their writing processes. Whether it is particular choices I made in specific scenes, or overall issues of research and or plot choices, etc.  If you are from a former class and want to join in, feel free to.  If an in-person meeting doesn't work, we can do this online. I think it would be educational for you and fun for me, so a double-win. BTW, I've never done this before so we will be in uncharted territory.  They are available on Amazon (Some Enchanted Season and La Desperada) and also at Book View Cafe, where you can save $1 on La Desperada through the end of October. Scroll down to see the books.

I hope you're writing. I was thrilled to see several former students at the Collin College writing conference and find out that you have completed books, or are still working away at them. That is fabulous!

No comments: