Thursday, February 07, 2013

That Kiss

Another thing we touched on in class.  Three-act structure. Even in commercials.


This one prompted this response from Laura Anne Gilman on twitter:

@LAGilman: As an Audi driver, I hope the girl was the one who socked that kid for grabbing-without-asking. #commercials

Grabbing without asking. I think I know where they got that inspiration from, and there is still discussion over whether this was an inappropriate reaction or not. I loved it. I also understand that it could be seen as demeaning, that an Academy Award-winning actress, Halle Berry, is reduced to "the prize" that is available for manhandling. Although she was pro enough to go along with it.

On the other hand, it was a beautiful acceptance speech.



So. What do you think?  Inappropriate, inexcusable, or part of the game of show biz?

And which commercials did you find that had a three-act structure?

2 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Oh, I think it was all fun. The guy had just won an Oscar. He was elated. Besides it was in front of 80 billion people. God knows if I was in that position I'd probably French kiss the male presenter too, provided it's Russell Crowe or Clive Owen... And somehow I can't imagine the conversation about what Adrien would do if he won didn't come up during all those Oscar lunches. He had to know Hally was presenting the Oscar. On the other hand, any other time, I'd consider it inappropriate. Unless there was some form of mutual consent.

Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

I think in a "show biz" moment, show biz people do over the top things and get away with it. If she'd chosen not to be kissed, that was certainly her option but that arm went around his neck pretty easily, it looked like to me.

And it was one of my favorite Oscar moments!