Monday, April 14, 2014

Performance Anxiety

I've been asked to do two readings in the past few months. One went pretty well, but I was very frustrated because my book is set in England and my own Texas accent just bugs the crap out of me, whether reading the narration or--worse--the dialogue!  The second one was horrible because I picked it up and launched into it and realized I was reading the wrong piece, and the piece I was reading lacked cohesion and anything interesting that made sense. I ended quickly.

I am going to take a private lesson or two (yay, Skype!) from a drama coach who works with accents to be better prepared for 'next time' even though I have no clue if and when there will be a 'next time.'

Today, Barbara Claypoole White blogs about just such anxiety, and gives some smart ways to deal with it. If standing in front of people and talking about your book, or reading from it, strikes terror in your soul or even makes you mildly uneasy, check it out.

No comments: