Friday, February 26, 2016

Jennifer Blake's Outlining System

On Facebook this morning, Jennifer Blake shared her plotting process, and it's so simple and efficient, I asked for permission to share it with you.

And because she's awesome and gracious and a wonderful Louisiana lady, she said, "By all means."

~o0o~

I made a fair start on TRISTAN ON A HARLEY yesterday, about 1000 words of the first scene. People have often asked how I know how to begin. Well, the answer is a bit murky. Being a plotter (instead of a pantser, as writers who start without a plan are called), I create a story outline first. This is done by brainstorming at least 5 crises/major changes that can take place within the parameters (time, setting, situation) chosen for the story I intend to write. Using an arbitrary 20 chapters, I place the crises more or less evenly throughout the story, but always start with the first in Chapter 1. For instance, in TRISTAN, things are kicked off by the arrival of a movie company in town -- and a challenge to the heroine to become an extra during filming. With these elements in mind, I usually wander around doing all sorts of other things -- shopping, cooking, gardening, etc.,-- while waiting for the first scene to take shape in my mind. The murky part of this process is that it actually does that! When I "see" the scene clearly, and have the first sentence with its hook, I sit down and go.

~o0o~ 

Isn't that great? 

It certainly works for her, as her many awards attest.

If you try it, let me know!

No comments: