Wednesday, September 10, 2014

That Business Stuff

As some of you might know, I was asked to give a Saturday workshop by the Writers Guild of Texas this November about the 'business of writing.'  And I said, sure!

And then, a week or so letter, I emailed and said, enh, maybe not.

Because I actually pretty much hate having to talk about it, and it is changing so much nonstop that any attempt to do a terrific job of it not only would take a lot more time than I want to spend on it, but would be outdated in five minutes.

Somebody else is going to do it, and I am sure they will do a great job of it.

In the meantime, here is some really smart stuff about the writing as a business from Hugo Award-winning Kameron Hurley.

I had a colleagues come to me recently gushing excitedly about selling their first novel in a two-book deal. “That’s fabulous!” I said.

“I mean… the advance isn’t a lot of money, but I know the publishers and they are great people,” they said.

“Do you have an agent?”

“Oh, well… it’s not for very much money. It’s like $500.”

Alarm bells started going off in my brain. A $500 advance is basically just “go away” money. It’s pat-you-on-the-head ha ha money. “Oh, well… what kinds of rights are they asking for?” I said.

“Oh, you know, everything. World English rights, foreign rights, movie rights…”

“OK, stop right there. You’re going to give a publisher complete ownership of your novels, including movie rights, for $500?”

“Well, the publishers are really nice people…”

Ok, my friends, let’s back up.

No comments: