Monday, September 19, 2011

Once more with feeling.

It's in the air, the curse of people wanting to write about things without actually knowing what has already been written, what is being published today, what it means to write that thing.

Here is a detailed explanation of why you must read YA to write YA from new YA author Julie Cross, whose brand new book will be out in January 2012.




Excerpt of article:

"I can’t even tell you how many unpublished writers I’ve chatted with, whether in person or through crit sessions, that have decided YA is for them and when I ask them, “Oh, have you read….”and I either get, “No, never heard of it, but I LOVED Twilight” or even, “No, but I hated Twilight so…” And then you get the rare few (and I say rare because most of these writers wouldn’t bother talking to someone like me who wastes time writing *gasp* commercial fiction), the intellectuals, the ones who are determined to create the next Catcher In The Rye and are so above anything non-literary and couldn’t possibly rot their mind on something like, Vampire Academy."

If you don't know what YA is--it's Young Adult. And if that's what you want to write but you don't know the term YA, you need to start learning. This article also has a solid list of recommended YA reading.

Have fun. The adventure awaits!

No comments: