Sunday, January 06, 2013

Books You Didn't Like?

I was glad to read Sherwood Smith's blog entry today about books she didn't love in 2012.

As a teacher I'm constantly having people tell me how much they love books that I don't, or haven't read and don't want to. The reasons are varied. It has nothing to do with quality of work and everything to do with, "It's subjective."

I don't care how many people rave about Cormac McCarthy; his books sound so dark and depressing to me I haven't gotten to a point where I want to give them a shot.  I know he's a hugely respected writer, an award-winning writer, a writer my students often find inspiring. That's all good and wonderful and I won't mock anybody for loving Cormac McCarthy.

I will mock Twilight because it's fun to mock Twilight but I honestly won't mock readers who love Twilight. Some of my best friends love Twilight!

Anyway, I suggest you read Sherwood's thoughts and join in the discussion.

She definitely has a few thoughts on the subject!

2 comments:

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

Books I didn't like in 2012 - how about the 50 Shades trilogy? I can see how people like it, but it felt like so much of the same thing over and over again for me. Getting the Kindle has helped me read a ton more last year - good, bad or other!

Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

I totally understand about 50 shades. I knew in advance it wasn't my cuppa and haven't checked it out, but hey, obviously a lot of people love those books.

And my Kindle has changed my reading life. I'm in love! It was getting the Kindle that spurred me to get rid of all the hundreds of books I had that I would never read again, and causes the kind of decisions I just mentioned here:

http://planetpooks.com/decisions-decisions-2/