Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Why a Writer Who Doesn't Need an Agent Wants One

Laura Anne Gilman explains today, as she announces her partnership with her new agent.

I know that it's popular now for writers to decide to go sans agent, and handle their affairs on their own, or with a lawyer's assist (especially if they've been burned in the past). I'd never say "don't do that" because for many people that is the right decision. But not for me.

Ironic, perhaps, since my previous career as an editor gave me the skills to go solo (I have no fear of negotiations, contracts or paperwork).


Read why.

2 comments:

Deborah J. Ross said...

So much of this is true for me, too. I'm such an awful negotiator, I really value having someone else do that for me. In my case, my agent is someone who's supported my career from the beginning, and when I freak out, he offers precious sanity-saving long-term perspective.

Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Same with me, Deborah. Same with me.