Monday, February 17, 2014

Headshots

I've talked about these before, but just having had one made, I thought I'd hit a few high spots.

ONE:  Micki Perry, a wonderful friend, writer and mentor once told me to beware of looking 'important' or 'aloof' or 'authory.' That people want to see a picture of somebody who looks like they have a good story to tell, who looks friendly, who is approachable.

I will update that by saying that today, when readers can have easy access to a writer through social media, I am told that readers want to see a 'real person' and not a cartoon character, not a picture of the author's newest book or pet, but a person. An approachable person. The more our interactions are from a distance, the more we want the feeling that they are personal.

TWO:  Max Adams, another wonderful friend, writer and mentor advised me to choose a photographer who does headshots for actors, not one who does families, businessmen, etc. I challenge you to google photographers who do actors vs the others. She's right.

However, if you can't afford a professional photographer right now, that doesn't mean you can't have a good headshot. You need somebody who hopefully knows how to use whatever camera or device you're using to take the photo, who you feel comfortable with. Take a lot of pictures and you'll probably get something you like.

THREE: My own advice is don't look like you're trying too hard. Look casual enough that people will think you might even look that good every day, not like you sat for an hour letting a pro do your makeup. [Ahem.]

Finally-- my new headshot.

 pooks-400 



pooks-400-b&w 

Photo credit: Arianne Martin Photography
Makeup: Shade DuBois
If you're in the Dallas are, check out Arianne and Shade. I didn't get a special rate to promote them. I'm promoting them because they rock, they make it fun and do a fabulous job at a reasonable price.


No comments: