Thursday, February 20, 2014

Writing, Money, Choices, Sacrifices

This is an honest look at a writer who today is an amazing success, and what choices and sacrifices she made to get there.

She talks specifics about money, about juggling a regular job with writing, about taking the plunge and being a full-time writer. For her it worked out. It doesn't always.

Rachel Caine's Living the Life.

http://www.magicalwords.net/specialgueststars/rachel-caine-living-the-life/


For the first four years of my professional career, I wrote one book a year … with one amazing year in which I had two books that debuted. And true confessions: the money amounted to maybe $5,000 a year. Obviously, not a full time job. I’ve always been a pretty fast writer, and it took me about six months to finish a novel, even with a full time job on top of it, so very workable. It meant giving up things, though. Principally, it meant giving up something very precious to me: music.

3 comments:

Bink said...

The link isn't working.

Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Thanks for letting me know. Try the new one.

Bink said...

Great article.